Thursday, March 12, 2020

Winter Has Arrived and Thinking About Live Christmas Tree Guilt

I didn't grow up in a family obsessed with cutting their own Christmas tree. The needles and the watering seemed more a nuisance than festive. I purchased a live tree 5 years ago and said never again. I lost some antique bulbs to saggy or dehydrated branches and that was enough for me. Then there is this year. It seemed everywhere I looked trees were for sale. I wanted a small one with the bulb to plant in Spring. When I lived in Maine these were easy to find and not too costly. Here it's like the nursery didn't sell trees in the Spring and now they are going to take advantage of your good tidings and cheer. I was not paying $150 for a 4ft tree. So I bought a live 5ft tree. I stopped by a small farm on a back country road advertising trees. I really wanted two small trees for the front porch. Here is where well deserved tree guilt comes in. I still feel like an ass. The man explained the time it takes for a blue spruce to grow. I'm not sure how long, but it made me think about it later on.

After Christmas I saw so many unpurchased tress at stands. Of course trees in recycling piles. I have always loved nature. I am ashamed I gave into buying a tree that cleans our air and gives us beauty. I know all trees do not come from tree farms. I get people have farms specifically to grow trees and make a living. My hopes are people who are selling trees are doing it the right the way. We also need to be better consumers and ask where the trees are coming from if not purchasing directly from the farm.

I have purchased from Arbor Day since my first landscaping project at my home. I always had luck with their plants. Here is the link. https://www.arborday.org/ 
Have a wonderful day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment