Friday, December 30, 2016

Easy Painted Cork Table Runner

I needed to freshen up a display at my old store. I was brainstorming at JoAnn Fabrics when I came across long pieces of thin cork in their loose scrap book paper aisle. I bought a few and brought them home to think about it more.
I looked around my shop table at all the loose gems and what nots. I needed an Americana theme and these glued add ons were just too fancy or kitschy. I needed straight forward color or art. I decided to paint. When scrambling for a brush I came upon my wallpaper roller. Lightbulb!!! This could give me a tye dye feel. Something unique! Something cool!
I took a paper plate and loaded the acrylic colors in the format I wanted on the cork. I gently rolled the brush up and down in the color format. Next I started from the end of the cork and started rolling out the paint. To make more color variations put primary colors next to each to blend a secondary color!
**I would recommend laying out a thicker piece of paper first and use the roller and colors for a test run.
I used this as a mat under a jewelry display. I added more touches with a gold roller ball pen. I wrote USA and similar words for the American theme.
I have also made mats with seasonal ribbon glued around the edges. They make nice runners for a coffee table or under a candle scape.


No comments:

Post a Comment